From:
Madeline Mason <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 12:58:27 EDT
In a message dated 8/25/01 11:00:29 AM, Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>
writes:

<< I just bought "Protein Power" from amazon.com.  It arrived in the mail
today.
 To my disappointment, it says not one word about bowel disease.   >>

Hi Sheryl,

Sadly, you did buy the wrong book. That book was primarily intended as a
weight loss book, and there are some things the doctors wrote in that book
that they have since completely changed their minds about. The book you want
is "The Protein Power LIFEPLAN", by the same authors.

<<Does anyone else on this list have IBD?>>

Yes, I have had years of intestinal problems, diagnosed simply as Irritable
Bowel Syndrome. Fortunately it never progressed to the point of actual
Crohn's or UC. About 4 years ago I began leaning towards a low carb
lifestyle, and eventually gravitated to the complete elimination of sugar,
grains and beans, (except for occasional cheats, which I "pay" for dearly!)
My intestinal distress evaporated, along with a 13 year history of poorly
controlled severe bipolar disorder. But that's another story. Only recently
was it confirmed via blood tests that indeed, I do suffer from Celiac
Disease. It is not yet a well known fact, but Celiac Disease can result in
mental illness as well is gastrointestinal disorders.

<<But I've read this before, about the lectins.  I found an article on the
internet about it.>>

Do you happen to have that link handy? I would be interested in reading it.

Thanks, and once again, glad to have you on the list!

Maddy Mason
Hudson Valley, NY