From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 07:36:15 -0500
On Wed, 1 Dec 1999, Bruce Sherrod wrote:

> >It is interesting news, and may be yet another instnace where synthesized
> >chemicals ahve a very different effect than "organically" occuring
> >versions of the same chemical. For all we know, the brain damaging effect
> >may be caused by left handed versions of the same molecule.
>
> Comments?

It *may* be another such instance, but then again it may not.  On
the other hand there are other cases where an artifically
fractioned ingredient was shown to have harmful properties not
seen in the whole food.  One example is whole peanuts versus
peanut oil.  Another is whole eggs versus powdered yolks.

I agree that it would be good to have some epidemiological
support for this.  The evidence that soy reduces risk of breast
and prostate cancer is fairly strong.  For some people, the risk
of getting these cancers is high, and if they have to give up
something that reduces that risk they should have good solid
reasons for doing so.

Todd Moody