From:
Ken Stuart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 20:52:28 -0700
On Tue, 6 Jun 2000 16:41:55 MDT, Dori Zook <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>Hey, dudes!
>
>The People's Republic of Boulder (24 square miles surrounded by reality
>where the paper falls a little farther to the left every day) is at it
>again, this time regarding animal rights.
>
>Go to...
>http://www.denverpost.com/news/news0606j.htm

I just read the article and couldn't let this go by...

" Pets, Melton said, have mental and emotional needs just like people, and
sometimes their owners fail to give them the compassion they deserve. "

    deserve (di-zûrv?)   verb, transitive   ***

    To be worthy of; merit. See synonyms at earn.

I'll ignore the errors of characterizing "compassion" as being either "received"
or "deserved", because another aspect of this sentence is a great example of one
of the central core idiocies of PC, namely that one deserves, one is entitled,
and one has rights - merely by existing!

Of course, we're all familiar with those everyday, common stories - the parakeet
holding down two jobs to help keep the family afloat, the cat that has the house
cleaned when you come home from work, the goldfish you always see doing yet
another gardening chore.

Yes, our pets deserve everything they get - they've earned it !

*** Excerpted from The American Heritage Dictionary of the English Language,
Third Edition Copyright © 1992 by Houghton Mifflin Company. Electronic version
licensed from Lernout & Hauspie Speech Products N.V., further reproduction and
distribution restricted in accordance with the Copyright Law of the United
States. All rights reserved.