From:
Rosemary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 13:57:37 -0500
Paleogal wrote:

> It is probable that paleo mothers have a higher iron content in their breast
> milk because of the natural foods consumed.  Todays SAD is sadly lacking,
> pun intended, and the same can apply to breast milk.  JMO
> Oliva

This is veering into OT territory but I've read that the clamping of the
umbilical cord too soon after birth can reduce an infant's iron stores. In
the US these days, it's customary in hospitals to clamp immediately after
birth. Apparently delaying clamping until the cord stops pulsing allows the
super-rich blood in the cord to flow into the baby, or something like that.

I have no references for this, though.

-Rosemary