From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Jun 2000 07:53:25 -0400
On Sun, 4 Jun 2000, Amadeus Schmidt wrote:

> CLA, I havent read much about this substance except that it was said to
> be veeeery healthy (probably from supplement makers).
> Do you have any net-resources about CLA and its role to mention?

Here's one:

Cancer 1994 Aug 1;74(3 Suppl):1050-4

Conjugated linoleic acid. A powerful anticarcinogen from animal
fat sources.

Ip C, Scimeca JA, Thompson HJ

Department of Surgical Oncology, Roswell Park Cancer Institute,
Buffalo, New York 14263.

Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is a mixture of positional and
geometric isomers of linoleic acid, which is found preferentially
in dairy products and meat.  Preliminary studies indicate that
CLA is a powerful anticarcinogen in the rat mammary tumor model
with an effective range of 0.1-1% in the diet. This protective
effect of CLA is noted even when exposure is limited to the time
of weaning to carcinogen administration. The timing of this
treatment corresponds to maturation of the mammary gland to the
adult stage, suggesting that CLA may have a direct effect in
reducing the cancer risk of the target organ. Of the vast number
of naturally occurring substances that have been demonstrated to
have anticarcinogenic activity in experimental models, all but a
handful of them are of plant origin. Conjugated linoleic acid is
unique because it is present in food from animal sources, and its
anticancer efficacy is expressed at concentrations close to human
consumption levels.

UI: 94313560