From:
Sheryl Canter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 25 Aug 2001 12:14:02 EDT
Hi Mark,

Thanks for the welcome and the info.

<<I used to eat some nuts but the omega 6 to Omega 3 ratio in nut is not very
good so I rarely eat them now.>>

I read in Sally Fallon's "Nourishing Traditions" that nuts have something in
them that destroys digestive enzymes.  She recommends soaking and drying them
first--she says that's what traditional cultures do.  I read a message from
Ray in the archives saying that soaking, sprouting, and fermenting are high
technology processes, and we shouldn't eat food that requires this.  So maybe
nuts aren't edible raw.  On the other hand, our ancesters almost certainly
ate them, so I'm confused.

I believe that the enzyme-destroying aspect of nuts is why they have such an
unfortunately effect on my ulcerative colitus when I'm active.  When I'm not
active I appear to be able to eat them with impunity, but maybe I should be
more careful.  Ray talks about threshold effects--that it seems we can eat
something without bad effect, but then BOOM, all hell breaks loose.  We get
allergies and colitus and this and that.  Nuts are unquestionably causing me
to "break out in fat", so to speak.  According to Ray's immune theory of
obesity, this could just be a lower level of sensitivity compared to a
colitus flare-up.

<<I do average 100g or so
of carbs a day but since I weigh 125 lbs soaking wet they are not problem
from a weight standpoint. The biggest thing for me and I believe most people
with Crohn's is not to eat starches/complex sugars.>>

I wish I weighed 125 pounds soaking wet.  I also wish I was still averaging
100 grams of carbs per day (or less).  I was doing it for a while, but my
average has gone up, and my weight has gone up with it.  I've been eating
tons of fruit and nuts.  It's so tempting in the summer.  I read an
interesting message from Ray in the archives saying that women tend to be
drawn more to the "gathering" foods--fruit and nuts--and sometimes gain
weight on this diet.  On the other hand, my colitus is still in remission,
and I should be grateful for that.

     - Sheryl