From:
Todd Moody <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 1997 22:13:54 -0400
On Tue, 15 Jul 1997, Roger L. Stillwell wrote:

> Moreover, two and only two black-and-white moral
> standards exist. Those two moral standards are:
>
> Any chosen action that purposely benefits the human organism or society is
> morally good and right.
>
> Any chosen action that purposely harms the human organism or society is
> morally bad and wrong.

** Warning! Danger Will Robinson! Philosophy alert!  Off-topic
material ahead; delete now! **

The two universal moral standards, as stated, are unacceptable.
Actions that benefit persons or societies are morally right only
if those persons or societies deserve to be benefited.  Actions
that harm persons or societies are morally wrong only if those
persons or societies do not deserve to be harmed.  These two
conditions militate against the universality of the proposed
standards unless (a) persons and societies always deserve to be
benefited; and (b) persons and societies never deserve to be
harmed.  To my way of thinking, it's pretty clear that (a) and
(b) are both false.

And now we return to your regularly scheduled programming.

Todd Moody