From:
Ben Balzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 15 Jul 1999 03:25:17 +1000
One firstly must set ones goals.
My goal is to find the ideal diet.
Examining all the available diets is difficult as there are so many
different recommendations. But look at Pritikin, look at low fat (which
paleo is if you eat organic meat or game or fish), look at others..
If you take true paleo as your gold standard, you can see how each of the
other diets compares to the standard Western diet.- indeed most of the other
diets is an improvement going toward paleo somewhat. They are like pointers
on an obscured map, indicators helping us in the dark. They all point in a
certain direction.
Gather them all together, and triangulate and you will find the top of the
mountain- and the top of the mountain is the paleolithic diet. This also
explains why all these other diets work well for some people for some time.
Pritikin is great if you only want to reduce hear disease. Poor old Nathan
Pritkin died of cancer- the Pritikin diet is much lower in antioxidants than
the Paleo diet- but I think paleo is completely compatible with Pritikin.
Pritikin was right but he just didn't go far enough.
So, a diet that reduces risk of cancer, diabetes, heart disease, stroke and
arthritis. That only leaves out depression, asthma, acne and a couple of
other diseases from the doctor's top 95% of workload. Maybe paleo can help
those too (what the heck, none of the other diets do!). Show me a diet that
addresses these even better and I'll try it.
People being well on various diets comes down to why diets are good or bad
for us. I use the theory of the good, the bad and the ugly. One must look at
the good things in the diet, the bad things in the diet and the ugly things
we add to it! And that's a very long answer that I can' do justice to today.
Not being formally trained in philosophy, I use (or misuse)Occam's razor in
a number of ways. The hardest way is simply to line up all of the
assumptions of the theory and work through them- only one has to be wrong to
capsize the entire theory. My father used to say that if a theory was wrong,
the mistake was usually made on the first page, and I think he's right.

No, I don't think I'm a fanatic, merely correct. My wife and children eat
normal food. (perhaps we should call it nawmal as there are so many awful
things in the normal diet!!)(Ray and Don, I propose that as a standard
nomenclature!). Maybe one day I'll get them to change.

Ben Balzer