From:
"Day, Wally" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Jun 2009 14:52:39 -0600
>Comparing by volume can be tricky.  An acre of wheat can yield 3000 lbs,
>while an acre of tomatoes can yield 40 tons -- obviously a gigantic
>difference by volume.  However, in terms of available energy (calories),
>the wheat has only about 1/3 less calories per acre than the tomatoes.
>Still less, but not nearly as much as the volume difference would lead you
>to believe.

Another factor to consider - grains can be stored immediately and indefinitley quite easily. Fruits and veggies, however, require a wide range of storage methods (drying, canned, frozen, etc.). What should be added into the above equation - how much of that energy is "lost" because of improper storage methods and/or waste during storage prep? Obvioulsy, it would be best if everyone worldwide ate fresh, off-the-vine, food everyday. But how practical is that? (I can't believe I'm defending grains, but for the sake of discussion I will :)