Date:
Fri, 1 Nov 2002 23:11:51 +0000
Hi - I travel internationally a LOT, including to & from Oz - the best bet by far, is to order what they call "low-fat meals". Yes, I know it's low-fat BUT it's the ONLY way you can get close to Paleo - quite close indeed, actually, considering caloric requirements are not exactly high when doing the long-haul floghts that we Aussies must endure! You can easily take along some nuts to supplement the meals. Believe it or not, on most GOOD airlines, you actually get quite good quality food this way, within the constraints of economy class! Better than the normal meals, that's for sure! To keep it low-fat (or "low-cholesterol") they HAVE to give you meals basaed on fresh meat, fish, chicken, veggies, salad & fruit - EXCEPT for some airlines which sadly have discovered low-fat junk food (but then their "normal" meals are just as bad anyway!)   Of course, if you're lucky enough to travel Business class, you'll get really GOOD paleo-friendly meals if you order "low-fat"!
Good luck! Cheers,
Ozzie
 Barbara Sheppard <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
When travelling by air, are the standard meals generally reasonably
paleo-friendly (with a bit of picking and choosing if necessary), or is it
safer to order special meals (e.g., gluten-free)?

Or is it all very much airline-dependent, with generalisations being
difficult to make?

We're planning an overseas trip (from Australia) and will be flying with
various different airlines. I don't eat strictly paleo anyway, so it's not
a huge issue. I'm just trying to work out what the best overall policy is
likely to be.

Thanks,
Barbara