From:
ginny wilken <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Aug 2000 21:45:22 -0700
>In a message dated 8/29/00 11:06:54 AM CST, [log in to unmask] writes:
>
><< The pro bodybuilders say pullups (ie same thing as chinups, but palms
>facing
> away from you, not towards you - and the further apart your hands are, the
> better >>
>
>I will try that. Pull ups and chin up type exercises have always been
>extremely hard for me for some reason. I'll try them again.
>Thanks to you and P.Thrift for info.
>MaryC.

Hi, Mary: You can do pulldowns if you have a pulley attachment for your
bench, but to do pullups just requires a chinning bar, like the ones they
sell for doorways. Or, you can mount two big doorpull handles the right
distance apart on an overhead beam somewhere.
As far as difficulty, most women are challenged by pullups and chins
because we carry so much of our weight, relatively, in the lower body, and
at the same time are proportionately weaker in the upper body and arms.
Even some otherwise quite strong women cannot do them. You can do "cheater"
pullups by dragging your feet on a small bench or stool behind you, or out
front of you on something taller like a desk or dresser, so that you are
not quite lifting your entire bodyweight. Another interesting variation is
negative pullups, where you jump up, grab on, and let yourself down slowly.

Something else you might be able to rig is a low row done with surgical
tubing and an eyelet or screweye in a wall. Rig some sort of a handle with
the tubing and sit on the floor with your feet braced. Pull in to your
torso like a dumbell row, with both arms at once.

I've spent plenty of time in gyms, but I'm great at finding ways to
exercise in homes and hotels without equipment...hope this helps.

ginny and Tomo, who likes tug-o-war best

All stunts performed without a net!