From:
Adrienne Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 26 Aug 2000 10:37:11 EDT
I have read that dairy products contain a naturally occurring growth hormone
IGF-1 (in addition to man-made growth hormones that are given to cows to
purportedly increase milk production) that may be detrimental to humans.  The
theory is that the bovine IGF-1 matches that found in humans, thus the
consumption of dairy results in too much IGF-1 in the body.  I have no idea
if this information is correct, but it seems to be a common theme on most
anti-milk sites.  Anyway, my questions are:  does butter contain IGF-1 or is
it mostly concentrated in the dairy protein???  Also, if it is concentrated
in the dairy protein, then wouldn't  it be more concentrated in products like
whey protein powder?  Finally, do any of you scientists out there have any
thoughts on if bovine IGF-1 is hazardous to human health or if this theory is
just junk science???