From:
Jerry Stegenga <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Feb 2004 08:31:13 EST
In a message dated 2/25/2004 7:17:24 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
If someone on the
list has read that recipe, please tell the secret. I'm sure it's well known
amongst bread baking people.

In Renee Taylor's book "Hunza Health Secrets for long life and happiness" she
states "--In Hunza chapattis are eaten instead of bread. They are made out of
whole wheat grains, stoneground daily."  The basic recipe that she gives is 2
cups whole wheat flour, 1/2 teaspoon salt, 3/4 to one cup water. Blend flour
and salt together. Stir just enough water in to make a very stiff dough. Knead
dough on a lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic. Cover with wet
cloth, set aside for 30 minutes.

Break the dough off, form into I-inch balls, and roll out into very thin
rounds, about 8 inches in diameter.

Bake on both sides on a lightly greased griddle over low heat. Delicious
rolled paper thin and served with thick sour cream. Makes 20 chapattis.  (end of
basic recipe)

Then she goes on with several variations adding such things as cheese and
butter.

Following this is a selection of Hunza recipes.

This book was published in 1964.  ISBN: 0-87983-189-8

JerrySteg