From:
JoAnn Betten <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 8 Aug 2001 12:00:19 -0500
i'm with siobhan on this one...i LOVE collards.
we've discussed various ways to cook them, i know there's recipes in the
archives, but how *i* do it is, i take my cast-iron skillet and put about
1/4 lb of sausage or bacon, all cut-up, and begin cooking it (and if all you
have is some leftover bacon grease and no bacon, that'll work just as well).
while it's cooking, chop up an onion, throw it in the pan.  then take a big
bunch of collards, maybe about a pound or so.  wash well, cut stems out,
then i stack them up and cut into bite-size pieces.  throw them in on top of
the onions.  then add maybe 1/2 cup of broth or stock, if you have any,
otherwise plain ol water works, too.  put a lid on it, let it simmer over
medium for about 15-20 minutes.  don't let all the liquid steam away, add
more as needed.
i imagine you could eat them raw, i don't see why not, but i never have as i
like them best this way :-)
JoAnn.