PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dick Dawson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Nov 1997 15:14:55 -0500
Becky Johnson wrote:

Interesting suggestion:

> Gourds would have provided readily available containers for
> fermentation.  My bet is if wild fruit was gathered in gourds,
> fermentation was discovered very early on.

Some have said that the first guys to milk a goat stored the milk in
a goat rumen (first stomach) and the stomach lining enzymes (rennet)
made cheese of it.

Archaeological evidence for sufficient domestication of animals to
allow milking first appears ~10kya; long after H sapiens arose.  K
Feder _The_Past_in_Perspective_ Mayfield 1996.

I don't recall the first instances of fruit storage or discovery
contexts.

Dick
http://smith.syr.edu/~ddawson