PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Ray Audette <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Mar 1997 00:22:59 -0800
>Is it true that sprouted breads are just as problematic as those
> made from regularly processed and milled grains?
> Assuming the answer to that question is yes, or at least a qualified
> yes--well, then, what to do for someone like me who has been dependent on
> them for energy? Perhaps I just need to experiment more, or commit to a
> longer-term program of getting myself off grains, and maybe my energy for
> running wold eventually return to normal levels. But just wondered if
> anybody here who is an endurance athlete had any practical suggestions or
> examples from your own life specifically about how you made the transition.

My ancestors, French Canadian fur traders performed a 9 month marathon
every year when they paddled their canoes 16 hours a day in order to reach
B.C. and return to Quebec before the rivers froze.  During this time they
ate nothing but pemmican.  From my own experience, I can tell you that this
is the paleolithic energy food you are looking for.  Pemmican is made from
raw red dehydrated meat saturated with tallow (by calories 80% fat).
It is very energy dense, easily absorbed and will keep without
refrigeration for 200-300 years.  It contains all the nutrients and
vitamins a human requires and can be eaten exclusively for long periods of
time. It is also ideal baby food being very close to human milk in its'
nutritional components.  My son Gray-Hawk has eaten it every day since age
three weeks.

Ray Audette
Author "NeanderThin: A Caveman's Guide to Nutrition"
http://www.sofdesign.com/neander