PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Dean Esmay <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 28 Mar 1997 14:57:03 -0500
I have gotten a few private questions about this list's charter, so I
thought I'd best make a brief statement.  This very new Symposium is open
to discussion of any and all issues that relate to the pre-agricultural
lifestyle pattern for humans.  The assumption is that you know enough about
the subject to pose intelligent questions or give reasonably authoritative
answers, but otherwise discussion -can- be in any area desired.  Indeed, I
hope that discussion turns at some point to issues like exercise, ethics,
and biosustainability.  Not that there is any hurry; I just want to avoid
anyone getting the impression that diet is the only -allowed- subject
because it -happens- to be all that anyone is discussing at the moment.

There is a greek word, "nomos," which refers to the concept of spontaneous
order--that is, when anarchy somehow generates order.  It's a concept
implicit in Adam Smith's free market economic theories, for example, and
also to the theory of evolution.  A mailing list like this one operates
under similar principles, and might even be considered as a living
organism.  It has certain set limitations and patterns, but what happens
within those parameters is rarely more than moderately predictable.

If discussion stays focused on any one topic, that will be solely because
no member has chosen to bring anything else up.  There is nothing wrong
with that, because whatever the group finds stimulating or enlightening is
perfectly acceptable.  But if anyone should ever wish to turn the beast in
a different direction, he need only do one thing: post a message about a
different subject.  If the beast doesn't turn the first time, a little
patience and further prodding should produce the desired result.  (Just
don't prod too hard or you might get an undesirable reaction.)

The only person "in charge" here is me, and my only function is to maintain
the minimal order necessary to prevent the organism from disintegrating.
You as list members may bring up any subject you wish, so long as it
relates in a substantive way to the pre-agricultral lifestyle pattern for
humans.  Indeed, you are encouraged to do so at any time, so long as it
relates in a substantive and informed manner.

I hope this clears up any private misapprehensions.  Please continue.  :-)