PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Staffan Lindeberg <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Mar 1997 03:20:38 +0100
Ward Nicholson wrote:

>So my question is: what do those of you in the Paleodiet
>research community do about your own diets, assuming you are trying to put
>into practice what you have learned in your research?

A typical day my lunch and dinner is meat or fish with plenty of tubers and
vegetables including pulses. Recently I eat less potatoes. For breakfast
and in between meals I take fruits and nuts. I eat hardly any dairy
products, margarine, refined sugar or cereals. We add some rape-seed oil by
cooking. My salt intake is below 30 mmol/24 hours compared to 100-250 for
most Westerners and 1 (one) for the Yanomamo indians of the Amazon. When in
1987 I started following this programme at the age of 37 I lost 9 kg of
weight and regained the weight of my youth (65 kg, BMI 20.5). My serum
cholesterol dropped from 5.2 to 3.7 mmol/L (201-143 mg/dL) and my blood
pressure went from 130/82 to 120/65 in 6 months (9 measurements, p=3D0.004).

>Is it really
>necessary to eat as high as 50-65% animal products for optimal health, or
>is there perhaps a *range* of say 10 or 20% to 60% that for all practical
>purposes might get close to the same results?

Good question. I would say the latter.

>And/or if not, are there
>other foods or supplements that might wisely be used to bridge the gap?

Probably not needed for you and me. Not without risks either.

Staffan