PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rob't Beck <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Tue, 4 Nov 1997 09:37:24 -0500
1.  Dr. Holt & I seem to be in agreement, however, I would not go so far as
to suggest that _all_ people respond in the same way to any given dietary
regime.  A major part of an ideal study would determine conclusively if
genetic differences exist, and define those differences.

2.  Given the amount of human suffering caused by various dietary problems
(obesity here, starvation there, malnutrition everywhere), it is amazing
that it is so difficult to pry loose a few millions of dollars for
nutritional studies so that man might begin to understand his _most_ basic
need.  It seems to me that those studies would quickly pay for themselves
in reduced costs for remedial treatments for nutritional deficiencies/
excesses.

3.  Several people in this list have referred, more or less obliquely, to a
connection between fat storage and ingestion of combinations of food, e.g.,
eating CHO with fat may be more conducive to fat storage than eating
iso-caloric amounts of CHO alone, or fat alone.  This has been referred to
(disparagingly) as food-mixing theory by conventional nutritionists.  The
concept is appealing in its apparent simplicity.... There seem to be no
first-principle reasons why it might not be correct.  Unfortunately, Dr.
Holt's reference 6 was apparently inadvertently omitted.  Could she supply
it?
Does anyone else have evidence for or against this theory?  Does the
success of some people on high-protein diets constitute evidence for the
theory?

"...it is almost certain that someday they will
collect our skulls and call us Early Man."