PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Fri, 11 Aug 2000 18:14:19 +1000
In Loren Cordains extremely interesting most recent post he states:

"In animals weighing less than 100 kg, the entire carcass cannot be
consumed unless there is a carbohydrate source, whereas in animals weighing
more than 100
kg, the entire carcass can be eaten with no worry about protein toxicity
and
with no need to find a carbohydrate source."

With regards the eskimo (last i heard they preferred eskimo to Inuit but I
could be wrong), given that they didn't need a carbohydrate source, to
supply glucose for the brain and CNS I assume they would rely on
gluconeogenesis.I'm curious as to how easily the body can switch from fuel
source to fuel source?  If the eskimo are using ketone bodies for energy
how easily would they switch to say a diet that started to include berries
(e.g. in southwest Alaska). I believe a switch from a mixed diet to a meat
diet "leads to asymptomatic ketosis and ketonuria" which diminish as the
body adapts to using the ketone bodies (Draper 1977:312).  Does anyone know
if there is any effect going the other way?

It is interesting that there is a sucrase deficiency among some Eskimo
leading to the inability to digest sucrose in the intestine (Draper
1977:313).  In the more tropical and temperate regions the diet would be
more varied and given our evolutionary desire for sweet things (especially
fruit) people in these regions are obviously able to digest sucrose.

Given that variety in the diet is often considered important by
hunter-gatherers I guess my main question is whether simply because people
did not require a carbohydrate source when consuming 100kg+ animals would
they still have sought them out?.  My feeling is that they would
(especially fruits and honey for taste and variety sake) but Lorens post
does indicate that once the big animals became scarce greater carbohydrate
supplies (tubers, roots etc) would have been sought out if fruit and honey
were not .

Sean McBride

Draper,  H.H.
1977    The Aboriginal Eskimo diet in modern perspective.  American
anthropologist  79 (2):309-316