PALEODIET Archives

Paleolithic Diet Symposium List

PALEODIET@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
David Ross <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 1997 10:40:33 -0400
Loren Cordain wrote:

>        I agree that the oxidized cholesterol in powdered milk,  eggs and
>aged cheeses is a powerful promoter of atherogenesis

I assume that oxidized cholesterol is present in cooked eggs, not raw
eggs.Could you please clarify that for me. More generally, could you comment
on the use of raw eggs in the paleo-diet and perhaps the effects of eggs
from free-roaming, organically fed chickens in the modern diet.

> However, as has been pointed out previously by Staffan
>Lindeberg, some of the highest dietary correlates to CHD in world wide
>epidemiological studies come from consumption of milk and dairy
>products (26, 27).    Milk and dairy products are thought to produce
>their atherogenic effects through a variety of mechanisms.   The most
>obvious is their high saturated fat content.
>
>        In addition to high levels of saturated fats, the Ca:Mg ratio of
milk
>is about 12:1.

>        Numerous epidemiological studies have shown dietary
>lactose (the disaccharide in milk) to be a prominent risk factor for
>CHD (34).
>
>        Milk also contains significant quantities of xanthine oxidase(37)
>which has been shown to enter the circulation.

Do these remarks about dairy apply to goat milk and its derivatives? Do you
know of any epidemiological data from populations who make significant use
of goat/sheep/mare milk rather than cow milk?

Loren, thank you very much for your contributions to this list.

David