NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Rachele Shaw <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 11:12:18 -0500
>My son reacted to milk with a rash. He also reacted to milk on his skin
>with a bump. We were able to test him originally (first line- testing) by
>rubbing some milk, yogurt, or sherbet on his upper arm. Wait 5 min to an
>hour (may need to circle the area with marker).

Our son also has always (from birth) reacted to milk on his skin with a
rash. It is a good first test (and the only one we have ever needed).

(As a baby a small amount accidently ingested meant systemic hives and lots
of Benedryl to get rid of it.) He is now almost 8 and his allergy is vastly
better.  He will still react to milk or butter put on his face, although a
small amount of either baked into things will not bother him (with a rash
that is).

We have a dairy-free house for him, but we are a lot more lenient outside
with milk cooked into things since by this age they are usually fed up with
all the restrictions on their diet.  He has gotten very bold these days,
and even tried cheese crackers at others houses.  Some of them (the white
chedder) seem to cause no reaction (he reacts now with puffy, teary, itchy
eyes and slight stomach ache), whereas the yellow cheese ones do.  Also,
any fresh cream (and maybe frewsh milk will cause a reaction.

These experiences are only known by his own boldness, as he does not get
any dairy in our house.  I'm sure that even with the foods that he doesn't
react to with a rash it makes him more irritable, etc.

Rachele Shaw