NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Amy Sillman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 2004 23:27:53 -0800
Nancy,

I am glad Hunter is doing so much better on the neocate, but sorry for you
about the mastitis. Eating parsley will decrease your supply. I believe sage
is also supposed to decrease milk supply. I would be careful about wearing a
tight bra until the mastitis is clearing up. You might make it worse by
restricting blood flow to the area. Also, expressing a little milk from the
infected breast is supposed to help clear the infection faster. So I would
lean toward taking a more gradual approach, and work on getting rid of the
infection, and then work on decreasing your milk supply once the infection
is gone (or as good as gone), since having to quit nursing "cold turkey" may
have contributed to the masitits problem.

I never had mastitis when I was nursing my son, but the above advice was
gleaned from several friends who dealt with it, as well as from many many La
Leche League meetings. I hope Hunter continues to thrive, and I hope you
feel better soon.

Amy
Mom to a 6.5 yo boy who is allergic to milk