NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Mark Feblowitz <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 13:57:36 -0400
>I was looking at some "non-dairy" creamer and it lists caesinate as an
>ingredient but also notes that it is not a source of lactose.

Nope - it's a processed dairy protein. Some people who are dairy allergic
are also allergic to caseinate. If you do react to it, you can be pretty
sure that your problem is an allergic and not (just) a lactose
intolerance/lactase defficiency.

> I was almost
>positive that it was.  I read about it somewhere.  Also, some listed
>steroyl lactate and lactic acid.  I wasn't sure about lactic acid, but I am
>sure I read that steroyl lactate was a source of milk.

As I understand it, neither is a source of lactose, and, while possibly
milk-derived, they are also derived from other sources. As two "points of
anecdotal light" , my dairy-allergic son and I have no trouble with either.

Mark

Mark Feblowitz