NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Jan 2006 14:44:08 -0500
> My question to those of you out there who have either yourselves gone
> through this or your children, that if this is a sign of her having
OUTGROWN
> (the miracle we've been hoping for) her milk allergy?  She recently tested
> POS (a #4 rash) on her skin test on her back) for milk, peanuts, tree
pollen
> and coconuts....So then why no reaction?  Or is there still a chance that
> she will have vomiting or diarrhea in the coming days?  Of course as
parents
> we hope this may be a sign that she has outgrown it, which will mean a
> completey new lifestyle for her (an us)....I would greatly appreciate any
> insight, experiences, or other knowledge any of you may have on this.

There are those who believe people never outgrow milk allergy, just manifest
it differently as they get older.  I never used to buy that, but now I'm
wondering if my son who outgrew his milk allergy around 18 mos. now has
behavioral symptoms from milk instead of the more blatant symptoms he used
to demonstrate.  We are changing some other things in his diet right now,
but once we get him settled, we're planning to try a milk-free month to see
if it seems to make a difference.

But, as far as the traditional view of allergy goes, it does sound like your
daughter may have outgrown the allergy!  I would wait a week or two before
concluding that for sure, but if she seems to have no ill effects from
drinking milk, that is the best test for having outgrown it.  None of the
other types of allergy tests are as accurate as just consuming the item and
seeing what happens, since that is, after all, what you really care about.

Good luck!

--Robyn