NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Jean Duane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2008 23:17:38 -0400
My heart goes out to you, Megan.  Here's a couple of things that I
wish I had known years before I did...  Casein is a protein found in
milk products.  People who cannot digest it build up antibodies to it
which appear in the blood.  I'm not a doctor, and this is not medical
advice, but I wish someone had done the blood test on me many years
before they did because the reactions happen over time.  Antibody
reactions are systemic, meaning they can cause problems in seemingly
unrelated areas.  I hope you can find a way to get your child tested
to avoid future health problems.

Now, some suggestions on what I am an expert in (dairy and gluten free
cooking)  To make a low-cost milk substitute, take 1 nut per ounce of
water for "skim" milk and two nuts per ounce of water for "whole"
milk.  For example, if you want to make a cup of "whole milk" use 16
almonds or raw cashews or macadamia nuts and 1 cup of water and blend
until smooth.  Strain and use as you would milk.  This works in baked
things, and on cereal.  If you like it a little sweet, add a little
maple syrup.  If you avoid nuts, use 4 tsps. of hemp seeds in 8 oz of
water.

"Follow Your Heart" makes casein free / lactose free cheese, and they
are good.

I hope this helps.
Jean Duane
Alternative Cook