NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Paula Clark <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 6 Oct 1997 09:42:50 -0400
 We should start a campaign against the use of powdered milk.  Milk is bad
 enough, powdered they use it so concentrated that it becomes a poison to
 many of us!

Hi Monica,  I guess I look at this very differently now then I did 3 years
ago.   My older son had a severe food allergy reaction this summer (he is now
9 and has had  5 anaphylatic reactions in his life) so its nothing new to us.
 But, there is a point in a child's life where I realized I can't keep my son
locked up away from other kids (it wouldn't be healthy for him to not be
included).  I have worked hard with his kindergarten teacher to insure that
she and I agree on how to limit dangers.  However, if my son eats with kids
with peanutbutter and cow milk in the lunchroom, then he can do stuff in the
classroom too provided the teacher cleans up and he is aware of avoiding the
allergens.   2 years ago I almost pulled my older son out of school the day
they went to the ice cream store, but I couldn't stop thinking how that would
make my son feel..(he went with his Toufutti)    The kids have seen the
Alexander the Elephant Video...to my surprise more than half the class knew
someone who had a food allergy.   My older son's classmates are aware and
careful too.  Now if that wasn't the case, I might worry but I feel like we
have done a good job preparing our kids for a normal healthy childhood.