NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

Date:
Mon, 7 Jul 2003 00:59:12 EDT
Is your concern for an i.v. drip because of the electrolyte called lactated
ringers solution?

If so, don't worry. The "lactated" in the name does not refer to lactose. (To
be exact, Lactated ringers solution is ringers solution, which contains
sodium chloride, potassium chloride, and calcium chloride, "lactated" with sodium
lactate in distilled water. Sodium lactate is the sodium salt made from lactic
acid. This puts it two very long steps away from lactose.)

And if you are merely lactose intolerant as opposed to allergic, it wouldn't
make the slightest difference if it was. Lactose intolerance is entirely a
matter of the intestines. Lactose in the bloodstream would have no effect.

And I doubt very much that even those who are allergic would have any
reaction at all to sodium lactate, but I am not enough of an expert to say that
definitively.

Steve Carper
Steve Carper's Lactose Intolerance Clearinghouse
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/stevecarper/