NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Lynda Mitchell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 2 Dec 1998 17:10:03 EST
In a message dated 12/2/98 10:56:23 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< The docs also recommended that we do a follow up DEXA in about a year. >>

Can you tell me what you've learned about what low bone density means? I
figure it means the child doesn't have bones as strong as the norm.  But, are
you aware of any other implications?  Does it mean that the child may grow
more slowly?  Does calcium supplementation "cure" the problem and make the
bones strong?  IOW, does the child "catch up" or is this something that can't
be completely corrected?

Matt has never been tested though I wonder about it since he has gone on and
off calcium supplements over the years--mostly due to refusal more than
anything else (stopped liking Neocalglucon, didn't like Tums for a while, now
he is allergic to yellow dye and can't take Tums and doesn't like the white
Tums.  I've bought a few different varieties of supplements and he's not too
crazy about any of them currently so it is an ongoing challenge!)

Lynda