NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Marla Shapiro <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 21 Mar 2002 02:15:45 -0500
thanks, josh! i don't have any issues w/ milk not being in her diet per se; my main dilemma, tho, is how far to take it. of course i can use trial & error (a bit like what's happened already, which is tough ona 3-year-old),  but i'm sure you know how restrictive it can be to completely avoid any traces of dairy in the diet at all... and, of course, it's always nice to know "why?" (unfortunately, the ear infections predate the dairy re-introduction....). at least i can be grateful that this is all that i have to worry about......! ..marla

Marla Shapiro, Ph.D.
Department of Psychology
Georgia State University
Atlanta, GA  30303

>>> [log in to unmask] 03/20/02 08:49PM >>>
> (she's been on maintenance amoxicillan thru all
> this for ear infections, too)

When i was a kid i was dx w/ a milk allergy. I had chronic ear infections
untill i was taken completely off of milk. It sounds like she was doing fine
untill you tried to reintroduce milk into her diet. I would try going for an
extended period of time COMPLETELY off of milk, maybe a few months just to see
what happens. If she is feeling better then it doesn't matter what the
allergist says, or how you would classify it.

http://www.nutramed.com/children/kidsmilk.htm is a good website w/
information about how it is difficult to diagnose.

It really is fine not to have any milk in her diet. If you are worried about
calcium and all that stuff consult a nutritionist. There are lots of
alternatives.

I hope things work out for you.
Keep us posted, we're all here for you.