NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
explorer <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
Date:
Thu, 1 May 1997 22:06:57 +0000
I previously posted a message on Mon, 28 Apr 1997 saying:

> Researchers said cow’s milk damages insulin production in babies and
> seems to only affect infants 3 to 4 months old.  Researchers said that
> some infants who drink cow’s milk are more likely to develop diabetes
> as they get older.  Sorry, I do not have a reference

As it turns out, there are numerous reports written on this subject
accessible on the internet.  Ron Hoggan [log in to unmask] has revealed
89 topics relating to the subject on a search of the Medline Archives.
My general search revealed several interesting articles and I would
encourage you to read some of what is out there.  There are too many
links to list here.

For example:
http://web.idirect.com/~virgin/milk.htm:
Child-care expert Dr. Benjamin Spock, 89, once an advocate of drinking
cow's milk, has joined several doctors in questioning its nutritional
value and warning of a possible link to juvenile onset diabetes and
allergies.

"Breast-feeding is the best milk feeding for babies," says Dr Spock.

At a news conference on Sept.28, 1992, Dr. Frank Oski,  Director of
Pediatrics at Johns Hopkins University stated that cow's milk is
overrated as a source of calcium, is often contaminated with traces of
antibiotics, can cause allergies and digestive problems and has been
linked to juvenile diabetes.

Health problems associated with cow's milk are perhaps not so surprising
if one considers that human beings are the only species to drink the
milk of another species, and the only species to drink milk beyond
infancy. Whole cow's milk is suited to the nutritional needs of calves
who double their weight in 47 days and grow to 300 pounds within a year.

Cow's milk contains about three times as much protein as human milk, and
almost 50% more fat.

There may be a link between milk and insulin-dependent diabetes. In
addition, infants may suffer blood loss in their intestinal tract,
depleting their body's iron.

Milk is deficient in iron.

Milk is a common cause of allergies and digestive problems, particularly
among people of African and Asian descent, who lack the enzyme required
to digest the milk sugar lactose.

Milk products are deficient in fibre and overloaded with fat and
cholesterol.

Milk is a concentrated source of protein. Ironically, over consumption
of high protein foods such as dairy products may contribute to
osteoporosis.

Diabetes & Infants
by Stephen Leckie and reviewed by Mark Fromberg M.D

A recent study of milk drinking patterns concluded that drinking cow's
milk during infancy may trigger juvenile diabetes.  The study suggests
that consumption of milk triggers destruction of insulin-producing
pancreas cells by the body's immune system.