NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Don Marcotte <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Oct 1998 11:47:39 -0400
I recently visited California and noticed a non-dairy milk substitute in
local supermarkets. It's called Vitamite. After calling their 1-800 number,
they sent me some material which indicated that the 'skim' version has
absolutely no milk protein or lactose in it. The 2% version has Casein
though. The wonderful part is that it tastes very close to milk, and I'm
very picky about milk substitutes. For example, I can tolerate Rice Dream on
my cereal but not in recipes. I can stand soy milk in some recipes but no
way does it get on my Mini Wheats!

I'm buying the skim Vitamite version in powder form. I live in Toronto where
there is no known distributor and anything imported has to go through
Customs beaurocracy. So the powder seems to be the best way to get it. Their
number is 800-443-3930. The company is called Diehl Specialties
International and it's located in Ohio.