NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Weavre Cooper <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2008 08:14:52 -0400
Re: "Soy cheese without casein is hard to find at the best of times and it
is prohibitively expensive.  I just don't bother.  But one day I will as I
promised my son we would make him a pizza one day..."

I eat absolutely no dairy, with an allergy severe enough for a bit of
pharmaceutical lactose in tablet medicine or a breath of Doritos air to
induce anaphylaxis. But, I love pizza! How?

First, you do have to make it at home. Even a pizza place that offers to
omit the cheese isn't going to be able to clean their oven well enough to
prevent contamination. If you have a trusted source, you can possibly use a
pre-made crust--most pizza dough doesn't actually include dairy--but it's
fairly simple to throw the ingredients in the bread machine if you have one,
too.

Second ... just leave the cheese off. (What? Pizza without cheese? Yes!)
Just put on lots of other toppings, whatever you like, and season well with
appropriate herbs. I add toppings--peppers, onions, olives, mushrooms,
pineapple, ham, you name it--until the tomato sauce is completely covered.
Then sprinkle extra herbs on top--garlic, oregano, a bit of extra salt if
you want, etc. Then bake just like any other pizza.

I will say that, having tried for years, I have yet to be really happy with
a cheese substitute that tries to taste like cheese. For cold things like
salads or sandwiches, avocado is probably my favorite "substitute"--but
*don't* try to cook with it!

So ... make your kid some pizza and have a wonderful time of it! :)

Weavre Cooper ("Ms. C.")