NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beth Kevles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Jan 2006 07:39:32 -0500

Hi --

I never did find any granules, nor even any cubes that worked for me, until I visited a grocery store on a trip to England.  There I found just what I needed.  (However, I also avoid MSG since that wires my kids ...)

You can find all kinds of dairy-free meat products at a kosher grocery store, although most of those seem to have MSG or other additives that my family avoids.

Bouillion cubes work just as well as granules in recipes.  You just have to dissolve them in hot water prior to use.

Or, you can make your own beef cubes by getting a good brand of beef stock in a can (Health Valley, I think, is one of the good ones) and then boil it down until most of the water is gone.  This leaves a very rich stock.  Put it in ice-cube trays and freeze it.  Once frozen you can store the cubes in a ziploc bag.

I hope these suggestions help,
--Beth Kevles
  Eating without Casein web site
  web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html