NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Juliann Seebauer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 14:20:14 -0600

>And I'll give prizes to anyone who can tell me what the type of calcium in
>dairy is, how it differs from any other type of
>calcium, how it physiologically
>works to numb the nerves in the bladder, and then cite any study from a
>peer-reviewed medical journal that backs this up.
>
>Steve Carper

From my understanding of a brief scan of
literature today, there are a few Calcium sources
in dairy, one being a calcium trapped in a casein
micelle, also Whey can bind calcium. The calcium
is bound and must be released to be bioavailable.
Proteins and peptides can influence (decrease?)
availability. A snip from a long Review:
Cow's milk contains an average of 1.20 g calcium
per liter, 20% of which is bound to casein as an
insoluble organic colloid and the remaining 80%
in mineral form (45% in the tricalcium phosphate
of the phospho-caseinate, which is also insoluble
and colloidal, and 35% soluble, including 12% as
ionized calcium) (full text :
http://www.jacn.org/cgi/content/full/19/suppl_2/119S)
Journal of the American College of Nutrition,
Vol. 19, No. 90002, 119S-136S (2000)
The Bioavailability of Dietary Calcium
Léon Guéguen, MsScAgr and Alain Pointillart, DVM, PhD

As for enuresis and Calcium excretion, see:
Valenti,-G.; Laera,-A.; Gouraud,-S.; Pace,-G.;
Aceto,-G.; Penza,-R.; Selvaggi,-F.P.; Svelto,-M.
Low-calcium diet in hypercalciuric enuretic
children restores AQP2 excretion and improves
clinical symptoms. Am-j-physiol.  Nov 2002. v.
283 (5,pt.2) p. F895-F903.
http://ajprenal.physiology.org/cgi/reprint/283/5/F895?maxtoshow=&HITS=10&hits=10&RESULTFORMAT=&searchid=1138132342620_1541&FIRSTINDEX=0&sortspec=relevance&volume=283&firstpage=895

Happy Reading!