NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Tammy Powell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 1 Jul 1999 07:15:04 -0400
On Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:53:24 EDT, Lynda Mitchell wrote:

} There is a test called a CAP RAST that
} may help evaluate whether the allergy has been outgrown.  (It is an
} enhancement of the standard RAST tests and has greater reliability for milk
} allergy).  I doubt if a pediatrician would know about the test though, since
} many allergists don't.

I took my daughter to see Dr. Wood in Baltimore shortly after her third
birthday. The reason I took her is that her Allergist does not believe in
blood tests for food allergies so I decided it was worth it to spend the
money and get the tests done.  I also made the personal choice that if
Jessica's doctor wasn't familure with a test and understanding the results
I wanted to go to one that was instead of convincing him to do it and
having her be the first one he ran it on.

        Comments Dr. Wood made led me to believe that it would have been helpful
to him to have earlier test results so he could monitor if levels had dropped.
If you can find a board certified allergist that is familure with the test and
let him/her decide when it would be best to have the tests run that might be
the best solution.

--Tammy