NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Aug 1999 21:33:34 -0700
I found this idea in a magazine.  The original had a light sprinkling of
cheese under the tomato sauce, but I just eliminated that.  I also used
my own foccacia dough instead of store bought pizza dough or bread shell.
 It was pretty fun to make with a 2 1/2 year old.  Her favorite part was
putting the "finger holes" in the dough :-)  This would be really fun to
make individual ones for kids so that each one creates his own.  You
could use other toppings and make all sorts of things like faces or other
animals.  I think it'll make a great party idea when she's a little
older.

I still miss real pizza with lots of cheese, but this will have to
suffice...
Kathy P.

Lady Bug Pizzas

What you'll need:  some sort of pizza or bread dough (purchased or
homemade), a couple tablespoons of red sauce (tomato or spaghetti), and
some black olives.  I also used thin strips of roasted peppers and herbed
olive oil.  I used the Foccacia dough that follows.

How to assemble:  Shape the dough into a round or oval shape.  If using
the Foccacia, let rise about 30 minutes and dimple with finger tips.
Brush with some olive oil if desired.  Spread on a thin layer of tomato
sauce.  Using the pepper strips make lines for the head and wings.  This
could also be done with pieces of olive.  Using the olives cut in half,
make the spots.  Bake at 375F for 20-30 minutes.

Foccacia

2 pkgs Rapid Rise yeas
2 c. warm water
2 tbsp sugar
4 tbsp olive oil
1/2 c. salad oil
1 tsp salt
5 1/2 c. flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water.  Add sugar, oils, and salt.  Mix in 3 cups
of the flour and whip until the dough starts to leave the sides of the
mixing bowl, about 10 minutes.  Mix in remaining flour by hand or using a
dough hook and knead until dough is smooth.  Allow dough to rise twice in
the bowl, punching down in between.  Press out dough to onto a pan and
allow to rise about 30 minutes until puffy.  Dimple dough gently with
fingertips.

For classic foccacia, brush with olive oil that has been mixed with
crushed garlic.  Sprinkle with Kosher salt and rosemary.  This works well
with other topping too such as pesto, strips of roasted peppers and
olives, thinly sliced tomatoes, carmelized onions, or traditional pizza
fixings.  Bake in 375F oven for 20 - 30 minutes.  Cool on a rack.

This is enough for about two 13 X 18 sheets or three 9 X 13 sheets.
Portions of the dough can be refrigerated in a zipper bag for up to 3
days.  Bring to room temp before using.