NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
D Jacobs <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Dec 1998 14:31:27 -0600
Kathryn M Przywara wrote:

> I have several cookie recipes that call for cream cheese (kiffles,
> rugala).  I have no problem subbing margerine for the butter, but what
> about the cream cheese?  I picked up a tub of Tofutti Better than Cream
> Cheese, but haven't opened it yet.  Has anyone tried baking with it?

I baked the chocolate cheesecake recipe from the non-dairy.org website
(is still listed under the October dinner recipes) with the tofutti cream
cheese substitute.  It was excellent!  My husband is a true cheese cake
conossiour and couldn't tell the difference.  Of course this recipe was
designed to be dairy free and chocolate was used to flavor the cream
cheese.  But I wouldn't hesitate to try other recipes particularly if they
have plenty of flavor to mix with the tofutti.  Tofu products seem to work
best that way, by absobing other flavors.

Denise