NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beth Kevles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Mar 2002 08:05:21 -0500
Hi -

Kosher markings are a bit complicated.  How milk-free a product is will
depend in part upon the rules of the kosher oversight group under which
the product is given its "hechsher" (certification of being kosher).  That's
because kosher law allows a bit of wiggle room for "best efforts" whereas
allergic persons are allowed no such wiggle room by their conditions.
Which means that it does make a difference which hechsher is given to a
product, as well as whether the product is meat, pareve, or dairy.  Look
at the kosher section of my web page for more details.

My web page also lists some milk-free products, and links to other pages
which have more extensive lists.

I hope this helps,
--Beth Kevles
  Disclaimer:  Nothing in this message should be construed as medical
  advice.  Please consult with your own medical practicioner.