NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Molly R Johnson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2008 15:04:54 -0500
I am sorry you weren't able to get an allergy test. I did a saliva test, I don't know how actuate it is, but I don't like needles and won't get a scratch test. I have found that recently my grocery store is adding new items that are dairy free. I have to go to the more expensive store to find the items but I get things only as a treat. The cheese is expensive but if you can use it sparingly. I just found dough nuts, which were a lot of money but the best thing I've eaten since I had to give up dairy. I've found that soy milk seems to be a little less expensive then almond or rice, at least in Wisconsin. Margarine, like someone else mentioned if hard to find and expensive. I am learning to use olive oil, which has a distinct taste but not bad.  I've wanted to ask for a while now, what people do with kids that have this allergy. It's one thing for just me as an adult to find ways so eat dairy free but a child, it's hard to find dairy free things that aren't very pricey and that a child would want to eat. Also I agree with Megan, it's really hard to make food that my husband will eat, when it's made with alternative foods. How does everyone else go about doing this? Making two separate meals is hard and takes longer. There are a few times I can make something and he won't notice but other times, there is no mistaking the taste and he won't eat it.  And I don't blame him sometimes I can't eat it either.