NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Richard Rose <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 5 Oct 1998 11:11:25 -0700
Casein generally has no lactose in it. It is milk with the water,
carbohydrates (including sugars which would also include lactose, a milk
sugar) and fat removed. What's left? A high-quality protein, which
unfortunately many of us can't digest either. Attach a salt ion (sodium,
calcium or potassium) to it and you get caseinate, which is more functional
than casein, hence its use in creamer and Rellas.

And I do hope it doesn't say 'non-dairy' while containing caseinate. That
was outlawed with the NLEA act which also mandated the new 'Nutrition
Facts' labeling.

At 11:26 AM 10/5/98 -0400, MATTHEW WINTER wrote:
>I have a question about ingredients with dairy in them for anyone out there
>in lactose-free land.
>
>I was looking at some "non-dairy" creamer and it lists caesinate as an
>ingredient but also notes that it is not a source of lactose.  I was almost
>positive that it was.  I read about it somewhere.  Also, some listed
>steroyl lactate and lactic acid.  I wasn't sure about lactic acid, but I am
>sure I read that steroyl lactate was a source of milk.
>
>Could someone please clarify these for me??

Richard Rose, Le Grand Fromage of 'Rella Good Cheese Company'
(formerly Sharon's Finest). [log in to unmask], www.rella.com.
Since 1986 makers of TofuRella, TofuRella Slices, RiceRella,
RiceRella Slices, AlmondRella, HempRella and the new and improved
VeganRella in Cheddar and Mozzarella flavors. Look for it soon!