NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
"R. Pellerin" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2008 14:52:41 -0400
Reply Part 1 again (list serv cut me off as I was over 120 lines....!)

We have never done a blood test as the skin prick test is still positive and
I know he still is as he had two reactions this summer.  No where near to
outgrowing this yet.  Blood tests are supposed to be more accurate.  Soy
milk can be expensive; rice milk can also be used as well as almond milk
(and hemp milk!) but watch out for the calcium contents.  Not all brands are
fortified.  There are so so so many varieties of soy/rice milk out there. My
local larger grocery store has at least six varieties of soy milk in
tetra paks and even more in refrigerated cartons and at least four rice
milks; we've tried them all when on sale.

Shop around and compare prices.  Check out their websites and sign up for
their newsletters; they may have coupons there.  You could even try writing
them a letter stating how much you love their product and they might reply
with a coupon (this strategy I have seen online many times to get coupons
but I have never tried it). Have you checked out Costco or Sam's Club?
Often, you can buy it there cheaper too (here in Canada, a six pack of
Natur-A soy milk (a particularly tasty one) works out to $1.50 per tetra
pack, where it could cost $1.99 to $2.50 in the store).  Find a local health
food store.  You can also check out your local Asian grocery.  You should be
able to find soy milks there (I did in Michigan, ultra sweet but good) but
again, watch out for the calcium content.  And don't hesitate to buy it when
it's close to expiry and it's marked down, if in tetra paks; if still
sealed, it should still be good.  I have
purchased milk within two weeks of expiry and it was fine.  Don't be afraid
to find such pacakges and bring them to the customer service desk and
outright (but nicely) ask for a discount for taking it off their hands
before throwing it away for no money.