NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Beth Kevles <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 22 May 2007 11:51:52 -0400
Hi, all --

Casein is, in fact, an ingredient in some glues, paints and beauty products.  (I give it brief mention in my website under "Non-food uses of casein".)  In the old days, casein was one of the better fixatives available and was widely used.  These days, with alternatives available, casein has often been replaced with less-expensive or, um, stickier? products?  Even so, I found the American Casein Company's website to be very interesting ...

If you're sensitive to casein when touched or inhaled, then you'll want to investigate further.  If you're only sensitive to it when eating, well, the children's glues and paints all seem to be casein-free, and I don't think it matters to the adults among us ...

--Beth Kevles
  Eating without Casein webmaster
  web.mit.edu/kevles/www/nomilk.html
  Disclaimer:  Consult with a professional if you need medical or other professional advice.  I am not a medical professional.