NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Nancy Morris <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 11 Feb 2004 13:36:41 -0500
  Hello all.  I called the ped gastro and spoke to the nurse practitioner.  She said that H is at the maximum dose of Prevacid for a child under age 2 (he is on 15 mg 1x a day).  I did not ask about breaking it up in 2 doses, but since I am waiting for her to call back for an insurance issue, I will ask then.  About  the Mylanta, apparently you cant take the pills with the Mylanta as it has something to do with absorption of the capsule, but if you break the pellets up into powder and put them in Mylanta then it works?!  I don't know?!  I know another option was to get powder and put it in juice or water, but H actually likes the Prevacid in Cherry Mylanta so why mess with it?!  Do u think powder would be better??

  The real point of my email is this: I am sad....I knew the next step was Neocate but I am just not ready...well I am ready in 1 way but not others.  I know he is still reacting to something in my milk (the spit up, the pain, the sleeplessness, the screeching, the diaper rash, the eczema).  I just don't know what.  the elim diet I did a while ago didn't seem to give me any ideas (except milk and soy which I have since eliminated).  It could be eggs or wheat but my docs and H's docs are not in favor of me going egg free  or wheat free (and to be honest I don't know if I could do it--I was so tired and felt so sick on the elim diet).  I already am milk, soy, fish, shellfish, peanut, tree nut, caffeine free.  I limit eggs (I don't specifically avoid them in things but I don't eat them on purpose either) already.  So, of course, the NP said that she and the doc feel it is time for Neocate...she said she was sorry and that she knew that this was a last resort and that she knows I don't want to do this.  You could tell in her voice she felt bad.  I told her I had to think about it, and if I did do it, it had to be gradual as I couldn't for my own sake, just stop breastfeeding.  So I told her she has to get my insurance in order (they took care of it last time with Tyler so they know what to do) and once they are ready to pay then I will call the pharmacy and order it.  Then I will gradually introduce it.  I do plan to do this...what I am not so sure of is if I can (in my heart) give up breastfeeding all together.  It will be nice to have an alternative...he wont drink pumped milk and he cant tolerate any formula so for almost 6 months I have been "it"....and I am exhausted.  I may only use Noecate for the freedom to go out or sleep in or I may put him on it totally.  I just don't know.  Do you think I can do 1/2 and 1/2 and see if it helps??  Or in order for it to help does it have be all or nothing??  I am so scared (and sad) to think that I have to wean and then what if the Neocate does NOT help..then I weaned for nothing :(  I may keep pumping full time (meaning in replacement of all his meals that he gets with a bottle) just in case.  I am so sad...but I know if he is suffering then I need to do what is best for him.  In the meantime, I am also waiting for his blood tests (RAST) to come back..it takes about 10 days...and I know they are not that accurate but they may give me some ideas on hat to avoid. Has anyone been thru this?

  I am sorry to ramble...seems like I am always in need of advice and not giving back.  I am so sorry!  I am sorry any of us have to go thru this....

  Thanks for any and all advice (even if it is to say "get a life" LOL).

  "Mothers of little boys work from son-up to son-down!"

  "My sons  are my greatest accomplishment and the opportunity to raise them  is my greatest challenge"