NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Barbara Pollack <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 6 Aug 1998 11:52:42 -0400
>If anyone visits Ocean City, New Jersey there is a store on the boardwalk
>called the "Bashful Banana" that makes an ice cream-like dessert out of
frozen
>bananas that they put through a Champion Juicer. It is smooth, creamy and
>fairly sweet and available with different toppings such as strawberries,
>blueberries, nuts, or Knudsen's fruit syrups.
>My kids, who are both milk-allergic, love this and the other things they make
>at this store. I wish there were more of them around! It's so nice to be able
>to go into a store and buy a dessert my kids can eat!

It's so easy to make at home.  Back when concentrated fruit sugar was
(supposedly, hah!) no problem for me, I made banana ice cream all the time.

Just peel and freeze bananas in chunks--and then run them through your food
processor.  Add some lemon juice if you'd like.  Eat right away or put it
back in the freezer before it thaws.

You can also add flavorings that work with banana (that flavor is so
strong) like rum, coconut, etc.

A strange story:  someone has patented this!  It's amazing that it was
allowed since I was making it long before the patent--and I'm pretty sure I
got it from someone else in the first place.  (The other strange thing is
the word is that it costs about $6500 to get a patent and something like
this is scarcely defensible.)

BTW, frozen bananas keep well in the freezer.  And they taste best when
very ripe so you can pick them up when the ripe ones go on sale and freeze
them until you need them.

I've made other fruit whips too.  Just freeze strawberries or canned fruit
(cut it into chunks before putting it in the processor) and process.  Add
some egg white (use the pasturized kind if you live in an area with
salmonella), lemon or orange juice (great with strawberries) and sweeten to
taste.  Return it to the freezer before it thaws and collapses.

This works very well with strawberries and reasonably well with most canned
fruits. (Buy strawberries in season, wash and cap them, freeze them solid
on cookie sheets, remove to a plastic bag--and you are ready to go whenever
you want.)  YMMV with other fruits because of skins and seeds.

Pineapple (canned, I never tried this with fresh) doesn't even need egg
white because of all the fiber--however, some people find the pulp annoying.

Barbara
 Wise CHOice for lowcarb, dairy-free frozen desserts
                   http://ExpertFoods.com