NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
psam ordener <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 14 Sep 1998 10:36:39 -0700
> > As always, any used of epi should be followed up in a
trauma facility.
> Robyn wrote:
> What does the trauma facility do to follow up?  What
should a person
> do if they have to adminster epi somewhere far from
emergency help,
> i.e. on a camping trip deep in the woods, etc.?  I know
some people who
> live more than 20 minutes from a hospital carry more than
one epipen.
> How do you know when/if you need another shot?
>
> When I had my one and only epi shot, they hospital just
had me follow
> up with benadryl fro the next 24 hours.  I assume they
were also watching
> for signs that I might need more epi before releasing me.

The reason is that epinephrine (the liquid in your Epipen)
is very short-lasting (about 15-20 minutes), and (as I
recall) is hard on your heart.  It's used to halt the
reaction long enough so that you can take other medicines.
Since my son's reaction is usually a severe asthma attack,
the epi allows him space to use his inhaler (and to take
Benadryl for the hives, etc.).  There are other things
involved in an anaphylactic reaction  - blood pressure
drop, etc. - that are life-threatening, and it's good to
get checked out by a doctor ASAP if that's the sort of
reaction you (or your child) has.

psam

Motherhood - not just a job, it's an Adventure!