NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Eric Schlesinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Jan 2006 10:17:26 -0500
I have some comments embedded.

[log in to unmask] wrote:
> I would say milk ads is the single  most  releveant issue of our time.
I would have thought there are many issues much more relevant than milk
ads.  Some of them include nuclear programs in Iran, the ongoing war in
Iraq, Korean nuclear programs, and such.  But, I guess it's all in the
eye of the beholder.
> a)im tired of being a weirdo because my kindergartener doesnt gobble  chocolate milk courtesy of the dairy giants at snack time.
>
> b)...and i cant say anything because the dairy industry has made
> intelligence a rare commodity in todays world.
These kinds of conspiracy-theory statements (for me) make the whole
discussion suspect.  I don't think the dairy industry is to blame for
any perceived lack of intelligence in today's world - but fanaticism of
all sorts tends to lead to closed-mindedness on all sides.  And to
radical polarization of viewpoints.
Interstingly, when we needed to have a modification in the snacks for
our children at school, all it took was a well-written note to the
school officials, and it was a done deal.  Once they understood the
rationale, they were more than willing to co-operate.  However, they
would not order in special foods or drinks - we needed to supply them if
they were to be consumed.
> c)...then on the other hand tells me to feed my kid formula..which is simply
> milk broken down to be more easily digested.
I did one quick search on Google for "infant formula" and found a number
of sites about non-milk based formulas - including some that purport to
have additives to simulate breast-milk.  Did I read it all?  No, but
enough to know that there are plenty of alternatives:
http://www.keepkidshealthy.com/infant/infant_formula.html
> d)it breaks my heart to see the explosive rates of asthma rise in exact
> concert with rate of free dairy programs in inner city new york kids.
Actually, there have been a number of articles in the New York Times
(over the past couple of years) about the rising rate of asthma in NYC
being specifically related to the increased cockroach population in the
inner city.  And to dust.  There is a lot of research going on in that
area; but none that I find mentions milk.
Here's a good article, "Ghetto Miasma; Enough to make you Sick" from the
NYTimes archives - you may be able to get it at
http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9905E0DD113CF931A25753C1A9659C8B63&sec=health&pagewanted=all
(you may have to paste the link together) I am a member on the NYTimes
site, so I can't say for sure if anyone else can get to it.
> how do you teach them that they  arent weird..they are the normal ones.  its normal to like brocolli and  drink
> water.  isnt it?
"Normal" is a tough word.  The Soviets used to define normal in terms of
the state good, and anyone who differed from it was not normal.  And may
have been put into jail, or into psychiatric treatment (see "A Question
of Madness", by Zhores Medvedev).  So, let's try something different.
Is liking broccoli and water typical?  Maybe not.
Is there anything wrong with liking them?  No, definitely not.
Is there anything wrong with insisting that everyone else has to like
them?  Yes, definitely.
I have always tried to teach our children to critically assess the
information they get - from ads, from newscasters, from friends, and
from parents.  And we have shown them how to do it.  My kids are now
mostly grown up, and have very good critical minds of their own.  I'm
very proud of them.
Also, I have tried to instill in them respect for others beliefs; that
there are very few absolutes in this world and they need to allow for
others' viewpoints and opinions.  But not to allow those other
viewpoints and opinions to subsume their own.  On the whole, it's been
pretty successful.