NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Eric Schlesinger <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Jan 2006 11:22:31 -0500
Susan Gallant wrote:

>      WHile goat's milk may still not be the greatest, it still doesn't have the fat and other issues that come with cow milk.

Actually, see

http://fiascofarm.com/dairy/rawmilk.htm#goatmilk

for information about goat's milk and fat.  The fat assay is different
in specifics, but there is plenty of fat in milk.

>      I don't know what everyone's religious views are . . . In Leviticus it lists all the health laws and among them it states that we should stay away from the blood and fat of the animal because the diseases are in those substances. Milk is loaded with animal fat. Note it said the fat of the animal, not the fat in human mother's milk.

Note also, however, that milk and milk products are NOT outlawed - only
the relationship between milk and meat and how to handle them.  My
understanding is not great, not being Orthodox and not having studied
Talmud, but I know that milk products are/can be  Kosher.

> It has even been discovered that cancer paracites hide in our fat cells and that's why overweight people run a higher risk of developing cancer.

"that's why . . ."  Sorry, but as far as I know, the causal relationship
between obesity and cancer is not definitively established.  There are
lots of theories - many published and based on very minimal clinical
studies - but I have not seen anything from the major publishing
authorities (such as JAMA, Lancet, etc) that is convincing.

>      in the long run we will be a lot healthier for it.

Here's a good quote (and it's from a published source . . . )

"For years, milk has been championed as the perfect food, and now it is
being demonized as a symbol of the degradation of modern society," said
E. Melanie DuPuis, an assistant professor of sociology at UCSC and
author of the new book Nature's Perfect Food: How Milk Became America's
Drink (New York University Press, 2002). "The fact is that we need to
get beyond the idea that milk is either perfect or it's poison."

Eric