NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Susan Gallant <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 23 Jan 2006 21:10:48 -0800
Robyn,
     that is why I suggested the midwife website that I offered so you could ask them questions like you do your doctor. I'm sure at least one of them would be able to provide you with information if you were really looking for it regarding studies and what not. Unfortunately the midwife I had is no longer on that list because she retired due to not being able to drive at night anymore, but there are still other people on there who could just as well have a lot of the same information. Cindy, my midwife, does however have a part time job as a lactation consultant near where she lives and could provide you with a great deal of information about long term positive affects of nursing on children even when they've grown older. I'm not saying every child who was breastfed for a long time will not have bedwetting issues, as our 6 year-old struggles with it even though i nursed her even through her toddlerhood as well as preschool, which tells me it's allergy related and possibly
 development like someone else had mentioned. I'm having her try the exercises too.  ANyways, since Cindy is no longer on the midwife list I'm not sure how she would feel abut my passing along her private email, but if you're interested in looking into that kind of information I can possibly pass your email address along to her and ask her to contact you. If you're uncomfortable with that then I can ask if she is O.K. with me passing hers along. I just try to respect people's privacy. I won't pass along anyone's ptivate information unless they say it's all right.
     As far as the Uchee pines website, how far did you bother looking? Just because the basic philosophy is believing in the divine healer doesn't mean they don't have studies recorded to back up discoveries. They have an email address on their website and an 800 number to contact them and ask about studies, which would only take a few minutes to find out, but if you tuned out as soon as you saw the personal religious philosophies then I'm not convinced that you really did the research. I originally learned of the studies about dairy and bedwetting from the doctor at the clinic in new York, but that was a few years ago that I called and can't remember the name of the place or the doctor's name and that's why I typed the Uchee pines website figuring they would have a lot of the same information. I had briefly looked at the name and phone number to the place in New York when I called out of desperation to figure out the bedwetting problem with our step-daughter. SInce I'd never called
 them before the name didn't stick with me, unfortunately and i lost the directory list I had since then. Maybe the other health clinic would have their contact information.
     Over the years I have grown to have a great deal of mistrust for the medical field because in medical school they have it beaten into their heads that only the conventional ways are the right ways and are kept so busy with their studies so it is made certain they won't have any time to study any alternatives. It is the same when they enter the work force. They are constantly kept busy with seminars and what ever have you so they have no extra time to study any alternative options and are constantly told on a daily basis by colleagues that only their way works. For example, cancer patients are offered chemotherapy as a means of healing when it makes them so sick from the side affects that a lot of them want to just die and get it over with. In some cases the cancer does go into remission, like with my sister-in-law who has recovered from breast cancer, but in many many cases the patients die. If a doctor tells me that the majority of patients he's seen have died after
 chemotherapy then i'm jumping up to seek second and third opinions. Yet they have it beaten into their heads that it's the only way to treat cancer or try to cure it. I have read books and know of other ones that tell you how to cure cancer naturally. One is THE REAL VITAMIN AND MINERAL BOOK but I don't remember the author's name and don't know if I even still have the book. Another one is THE CURE FOR ALL CANCERS by a doctor out in California. For those into more spiritual matters there is another one called THE HALLELUJA DIET that talks about how different foods should be avoided when you are diagnosed with cancer and what foods are ideal (It says to avoid ALL fat.) As I recall, dairy is in there somewhere because it is loaded with fat. That's just an example of where i'm coming from, but  I know the medical schools do not stress how diest affetcs out health. They focus more on pills and surgery. That's fine for extreme cases where s situation is beyond having the time or ability
 to try anything else, but if diet was focussed on a lot more then the pills and surgery would not be necessary. EVen the dietitians are told dairy is healthy because the dairy industry pays the colleges and medical schoold to emphasise this. Pediatritions push it and the government funded program WIC because WIC is funded by the united dairy association and again, doctors are told this in school ( withwhat minimal diet they are expected to study) WHere breastfeeding is concerned they are only required to read 2 pages of it in medical school, the possible pronlems that can occur, very little or nothing about the many health benefits. A lot of pediatritions and gynachologists know extremely little about breastfeeding for the same reason. A lot of pediatritions also take bribes from formula companies that offer cash bonuses and free vacations for accumulating so many points if they push the formula products on mothers who don't know any better and take their word for it just because
 they're "THE DOCTOR". A lot of these moms would have been breastfeeding if it weren't for this, but because of lack of support and not being very educated on the topic they gullably fall for what ever the doctor says. They don't know the formula companies send cases and cases of free formula for the doctors to give out to promote their products and offer bonuses to the doctors who do so. If they were really concerned about the babies' health they would send the cases back. There are a few doctors who don't fall for the carrot that's out in front of them, but they are very rare. The book MILK MONEY AND MADNESS, The Politics And Culture Of Breastfeeding covers that as well as a lot of other health issues realted to cow milk and formula that is made from it as well as the history behind how formula was started and how it became so popular.
     There are a few genuilely caring doctors out there who really know their struff, but in today's culture they are rare and that's why I doubt them so much. Even their studies about cancer research are tainted, as I wouldn't doubt many other studies they do could very well be as well. The reason I say this is because they will take the cancer patients who are not on their death beds who have better chances of recovering and doing studies with them so they are sure to not have negative conclusions. This is something i read in another book about cancer about 10 years ago that I picked up at a health food store. I just wish I could remember the title for that one. I'm sure if you wanted to research alternative health further that many health food stores could help you find books and magazines on that. EVen though some are kind of new age and i can't relate to some of the philosophies related to that they do still have a lot of reliable health information that I can use. Anyways, I
 think you get the idea and understand at this point why I view things the way I do. I may be considered radical to some people, but I'd rather be called radical and know I understand what's really going on than to just go along with the majority. It is written that there is a danger in worrying about what other people think, so that is what I live by. If it's truth I go with it and if it isn't I disregard it even when people look at me like I have two heads. They aren't me so I don't have to have their approval. We will come to know the truth and the truth will set us free.  Sue

 What are the most popular cars?  Find out at Yahoo! Autos