NO-MILK Archives

Milk/Casein/Lactose-Free List

NO-MILK@LISTSERV.ICORS.ORG

From:
Kathryn M Przywara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 25 Oct 1998 09:55:05 -0800
On Mon, 19 Oct 1998 16:12:36 -0400 Robyn Kozierok <[log in to unmask]>
writes:
>> One further note: By choosing to eliminate dairy from my diet for 6
>>months of pregnancy + 1 year of nursing, I run the risk of becoming
>>lactose intolerant myself.
>
>I wondered about this when I went strictly dairy-free while nursing
>my allergic son.  But someone sent me information that stated that
>adults tend to become lactose intolerant over time, notwithstanding
>exposure to milk products, so that I might just happen to be lactose
>intolerant after I went back (if it just happened to occur at that
>time in my life, due to age), but it wouldn't be caused by the lack
>of exposure for that time period.

I can add my own little twist to this.  I was dairy free while nursing my
daughter for nearly a year.  I was slightly lactose intolerant to start
with (or so I thought).  After weaning, I started putting dairy back into
my diet.  After about 2 months, I couldn't handle any - not even trace
amounts.  Not even with LactAid.  Looks more like I became severely
allergic to dairy since even things with just the proteins give me
trouble.  On a skin test, I get a mild reaction - certainly not one that
cooresponds to the severeity of reaction from ingestion!  Not sure what
happened or what is going on, but I'm not happy about it!  It will be
interesting to see if I have another dairy allergic kid since there is no
way I'll be consuming dairy during this pregnancy or nursing.

Kathy P.

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]